Monday, April 4, 2011

Week 7

Once the shock is gone, the immediate depression (when thinking of the soon-to-be-gone-waistline, and the soon-to-be-arriving- morning-sickness) well contained, I told myself that I might as well enjoy the pregnancy, especially so since this is going to be my last one (said that the last pregnancy too).

Being pregnant at 40, hmmm..

Even when one gets pregnant at half that age, the worry list is a long one. Even more so now.

I happened to be on simvastatin at the point of conception, and maybe for about 2 weeks till I realized that I was pregnant. Simvastatin is a cholesterol lowering drug classified as Category X by FDA. In English, it means, if you are pregnant, never take it and if you are on it, never get pregnant. It’s bad enough that I have cholesterol problems, worse when I take simvastatin and get pregnant, worst when I continue taking it 2 weeks after possible conception date. That’s major reason to worry.

All my three kids were delivered via c-section. The second one was born a preemie due to a case of major placenta praevia. Subsequent pregnancy will have increased probability of another placenta praevia, said the textbook. And confirmed by the ObGyn. Ooooh…. Worry!

I am FORTY! Chances of all sorts of complications increase with age. Gestational diabetes and hypertension! And the fact that I have 3 kids, a husband, a household, business, work, the garden and two cats to tend to will not help matters at all. I have never been an athlete, am not exactly fit, haish, in fact am not fit at all – I have bat-arms that can help me fly, I have a pair of legs that are seldom worked, I have a stomach that looks like 3 months pregnant even when I am not, my butts are the size of Africa continent! For someone who is not fit, the extra load in the front will really feel like a huge load. I tire easily. My joints ache. My waist creaks. My knees complaint!

But I figured, I will only be pregnant-@fourty, once. And ‘now’ is a fleeting moment, I wont be able to repeat this again. So, I must stay positive, I must look in the eye of the storm calmly and tell it, you can huff and puff all you want, but you cant budge me (I am too heavy), so there!

No comments:

Post a Comment